|10:30||Event starts – form teams, panel interview|
|11:30||Introduction to web design|
|12:30 – 13:30||Lunch break|
|13:30 – 15:15||Designing and building your comic|
|15:15 – 15:30||break|
|15:30 – 16:10||Short listed teams present their comics|
|16:10 – 16:30||Audience and judges prizes and final presentations|
Link to basic HTML example: https://thimbleprojects.org/girlshackireland/223821
Link to comic template: https://thimbleprojects.org/girlshackireland/223785
Link to add to Girls Hack Ireland Gallery: https://goo.gl/forms/gavRXpKByqI6B6Sf2
How to make your own comic
- Open the comic template: https://thimbleprojects.org/girlshackireland/223785
- Click on the “Remix” button to start your own version.
- Create an account so that you can save and publish your comic.
- Find images to tell your story and make changes in the editor to build your comic. Good places to find free images:
You can either download the image and then upload it to your project (using the + button) or you can copy the address (link) to the image and put that into the src=”” part of your comic.
- You can move the speech bubbles to the left or right and move the captions to top or bottom.
- You can change colours by finding the “#…..” in the head of the index.html page. See a list of colours at https://www.w3schools.com/colors/colors_names.asp
Gotchas (or if things go wrong)
- Check your spelling – computers only recognise the word or symbol if it’s exactly right
- Does it need to have ” marks around it? If you’re pasting the address (src) for an image, make sure you’ve got ” marks at the start and end.
- Have you put the text between ‘tags’ (the bits) and made sure the one at the end is a finishing or closing tag (has a / in it)?
- If you’re changing a scene, make sure you delete or replace the old image (the bit) else the page will try to show both and the layout (position of the scenes) will go wrong.
- If things aren’t working look at the colour of the text. Does it start to go funny somewhere or is there a pink square over the line number? That’s probably where the mistake is.
How to share your comic
Click on the Publish button in the top right corner, add a description and then use the link to connect your team’s comics together; to add your comic to the Girls Hack Ireland Gallery or to share your comic with friends.
How to join the comics from each team member
- Work out the order that you want your comics to be read.
- Publish your comic and get the link for sharing it.
- Either email the link to the person whose comic comes before yours or show them your screen so they can type in the link to your comic.
- On that person’s computer, go to the end of the index.html file where it says “Next …” and enter in your link for the “link to next comic”